Have you ever traveled abroad and wished you could watch your favorite shows? If you were denied access to them because you weren’t in your home country, rest assured there’s a fix.
Smart DNS can offer speed, versatility, and the ability to watch what you want, where you want – so long as you’re willing to sacrifice a bit of security.
SmartDNS is a type of proxy server that lets you access region-restricted or blocked content. It doesn’t matter where in the world you’re trying to connect, a Smart DNS proxy will route your data so it appears you’re in the same region.
This is similar to a proxy server, but where a proxy will work fine for regional viewing, it forces you to route all of your information through it to your target destination. This slows your connection. Smart DNS only sends the information required to gain access to that region’s site.
Basically, Smart DNS is your ticket to fast streaming of regionally blocked television shows and websites.
It’s great for when you’re travelling because you can access all of your data without issues.
The system works by intercepting and re-routing data that’s exchanged with regional proxy servers. It processes the required information, making it appear as though you’re located in your desired location.
Smart DNS will also filter the particular information that the site requests based on your actual location. This means that only certain data needs to be fed through the proxy.
For example, if you’re trying to access a Canadian-blocked server from the United States, information about your location will be routed through the Smart DNS proxy while all other data is left untouched. Their server will think you’re from Canada, but all other information will remain as though you’re on a local site.
No data is encrypted with Smart DNS in order to give you a faster connection to your desired site. Because a SmartDNS can’t provide that extra security, it’s crucial to find a VPN to ensure your information is kept safe.
Ultimately, a Smart DNS works like a proxy, but removes the need to send all of your information.
- Smart DNS is much faster than the alternatives. Where a normal proxy sends all your information, Smart DNS only sends a small amount. This decreases your load time per page.
- Smart DNS can be a lot cheaper than VPNs because it doesn’t add security or use other additional features. Although this can be an issue, depending on your desired use, it also provides you with more speed for your browsing.
- Setup is much faster with a Smart DNS proxy because it doesn’t require third-party applications. You simply have to change the DNS of your chosen device in order to connect to the server. From there, you can immediately access any region-restricted data and content you’re looking for.
- Any device or network of devices can be setup with a Smart DNS, including computers, mobile phones, internet-compatible gaming devices, and smart televisions.
- The risk of Man-In-The-Middle attacks is higher because of the unknown IP address. Users can’t identify when their information has been intercepted, allowing an unknown user to insert himself and impersonate different parties to gather data.
Adding a VPN
Smart DNS can be extremely handy for the individual that does a lot of foreign travel. It is faster than a proxy, but its lack of encryption could leave you at risk for different cyber-attacks.
As you can see, the Smart DNS’s main drawback is its lack of security. This is where a VPN can come in handy. A VPN can offer protection to your Smart DNS plan, still giving you the great speed boosts, but stopping unwanted attacks on your information.
If you’re looking for a quick fix and security isn’t a big concern for you, Smart DNS may be for you.